- INFORMATION SUMMARY FOR CONDITIONS FOR LEARNING SURVEY
During the spring of 2021, if your child is in grades 3-12, they will be invited to complete a brief Conditions for Learning Survey (Survey) online. Student participation in the Survey is highly encouraged, but is voluntary and no student is required to fill out the Survey. The Survey will take about 20 minutes to complete.
Purpose of the Survey
The purpose of the Survey is to obtain information about how students feel about the culture and climate of their school and teachers, as well as the safety of their school. The information collected will help the state, our schools, and local community improve the school. It is important to ask children to tell us what is good and working about their experience in school, and what needs to be improved, in their eyes.
- You have the right and the responsibility to be informed about what your child volunteers to participate in at school.
- You have the right to receive accurate information about the Conditions for Learning Survey in order for you to make good decisions for your family.
All information collected will be confidential. Students will use their state student identification number to complete the Survey to match the demographic information already being collected from student information systems. Individual student responses will not be identifiable in the reporting platform to any user, and no Department, district, or school employee will have access to identifiable student level data. Results are aggregated and only reported by subgroups for which there are at least 10 respondents.
There will be no payment or reward for students filling out the Survey.
- All students in grades 3-12 will be invited to fill out the Survey. Students will have the right to refuse to answer any questions on the Survey. If a student decides they want to change their mind and not complete the Survey they may do so.
- If, as a parent or legally approved adult, you do not want your child/children to participate, you must send the school the Refusal of Consent form provided in this letter, and your child/children will be provided with another activity during the Survey class period. There is no penalty for anyone who decides not to participate.
There is no direct risk in filling out the Survey. Students may find some questions uncomfortable or difficult to answer. They may leave blank any question they do not wish to answer and may stop taking the Survey at any point.
The data collected throughout the state will provide schools and communities with the information they need to provide programs that will support schools, communities and families in keeping their children safe and hopeful about their future.
Reviewing the Surveys:
The Survey questions are available using the links below, or you may request copies from your school:
Questions regarding the Conditions for Learning Survey are welcome. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your school principal or email@example.com at the Iowa Department of Education.