Volunteering in Our District
Whether you find yourself with free time on your hands, a desire to spend time with young minds, or welcome the opportunity to help others, we welcome volunteers to aid our classrooms and schools throughout the district.
- If you hope to visit your child’s classroom, attend field trips or work in any capacity with a group of students, there is a state requirement and guidelines to ensure the safety of our students
- Volunteering gives you the opportunity to get to know the teachers and the staff and support your child’s learning goal.
Where can you lend a hand?
- Read stories to children and listen to them read.
- Share your unique talents and crafts in the classroom.
- Help in the classrooms, in the library, during fundraising activities, on field trips….the list is endless!
What are volunteer guidelines?
- Make sure the time to volunteer time is agreed upon with the classroom teacher. Out of respect to the teacher and instructional time, unannounced visits can’t be permitted.
- Volunteers are required to sign in/out at the office and wear a visitor tag.
- Student expectations remain the same when visiting a classroom.
- To help minimize distractions, siblings will not be permitted to join you (exceptions can be made for parties only).
- We ask that volunteers use the time to be of assistance to the class or teacher. In the event there is a need discuss issues with the classroom teacher, a different time to conference can be arranged.
What are a volunteer’s responsibilities?
- Arrive on time- please call the office if you are not able to help or to reschedule your time.
- You will work under the direction and supervision of building staff.
- Anything you see or hear concerning a student or staff member should not be shared with anyone else, ask yourself, would I want someone talking about my child or myself in that way?
- If you do have concerns with anything you see or hear from a student or a staff member, please contact the building principal.
- Model caring, patience, perseverance, respect cooperation and tolerance- children learn from what they experience.
- Your volunteer materials are good for 5 years, after 5 years, you will need to fill out the paperwork again
I want to Help, how do I get started?
- If you want to volunteer in the District, you will need to reach out to Sue Wilber in Human Resources to begin the process by filling out background check paperwork.
- Once your background check is complete, Sue or the building secretary will let you know and you will be free to volunteer.
On behalf of CCA schools, thank you for your interest in volunteering. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sue Wilber (319-828-4510) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org