What is Green Iowa AmeriCorps
Our mission is to empower Iowa's communities and school districts to make more environmental, conservation-minded decisions and improvements by engaging our AmeriCorps members in direct service work, environmental education, professional development opportunities, and volunteer engagement.
We are to be a resource and catalyst for Iowa School districts to build a more energized and sustainable future.
Green Iowa at CCA:
CCA has two full time members in addition to one summer member. Currently there is one vacant spot for the full-time member. Lauren is currently at the school and will be working in the district for 11 months. Lauren is in her junior year at the University of Iowa for Environmental Planning and Policy.
One full-time member acts as the education and outreach coordinator. Their position focuses on environmental education development and implementation within the host site and host site community.
The other full-time member is the sustainability and operations coordinator. They primarily focus on operational sustainability, as well as developing best practices on how best to save on energy costs and increase sustainability efforts.
Projects so Far!
- Outdoor Classroom- members have been influential in writing grants and funding the outdoor learning space.
- Sustainability curriculum- working on lessons that incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion, social and emotional learning, and environmental sustainability. Led a sustainability class and club during the 2020-21 school year.
- Recycling- collected, painted, and distributed the new blue recycling bins in classrooms.
- Composting- drafted a composting phase-in plan for the 2021-22 school year. Created lunchroom posters and materials for cafeterias.
- Geocaching- we have placed greeniowaatcca geocaches around the district area to advocate for getting outside.
To learn more about the state program and what we do, check out our website at https://www.greeniowaamericorps.org/.
Follow Us On Social Media!
The CCA Green Iowa AmeriCorps Coordinators
I am currently enrolled at the University of Iowa and I’m going for Environmental Planning and Policy. I graduated from Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids, which is where I am originally from. I enjoy taking my dog for walks, exploring trails around my house, and being in nature when I am not working or at school. I have a husky named Gypsy, and an American Shorthair cat named Spider. They love bugging me while I do my work!