The CCA Green Iowa AmeriCorps Coordinators
email@example.comHowdy! My name is Melanie Comer, and I work as an Environmental Outreach and Education Coordinator for Green Iowa AmeriCorps! I have always loved the environment with all my heart, so why not make it a career? I recently graduated from the University of Iowa with a B.A. in Environmental Planning, a Sustainability Certificate, and a Spanish Minor. My next journey starts this Fall when I pursue my Masters in Urban and Regional Planning, also from UIowa (Go Hawks!). In my free time, I like hiking, baking pastries, and hanging out with my cat. I am very excited to work for GIA, and I am honored to educate the youth of CCA about the importance of caring for our earth.Elisa SennoI am a recent graduate of Saint Ambrose University where I earned my Masters in Social Work, Bachelors of Social Work, and Bachelors of Psychology. Although my education is focused on social justice, mental health, and policy advocacy, my passions have always involved conservation, sustainability, and saving our planet's oceans. I am hoping to bring my dreams to life as I begin my career merging social work and environmentalism into one! In my free time I enjoy volunteering at farms, playing soccer, and making home-cooked meals.
Projects they will be working on:
- Environmental education with middle schoolers
- CCA Geocaching
- Stormdrain painting
- Working on tree planting around the school
What is Green Iowa AmeriCorps
Our mission is to empower Iowa's communities and school districts to make more environmental, conservation-minded decisions and improvements by engaging our AmeriCorps members in direct service work, environmental education, professional development opportunities, and volunteer engagement.
We are to be a resource and catalyst for Iowa School districts to build a more energized and sustainable future.
Green Iowa at CCA:
CCA has two full time members in addition to one summer member. Currently there is one vacant spot for the full-time member. Lauren is currently at the school and will be working in the district for 11 months. Lauren is in her junior year at the University of Iowa for Environmental Planning and Policy.
One full-time member acts as the education and outreach coordinator. Their position focuses on environmental education development and implementation within the host site and host site community.
The other full-time member is the sustainability and operations coordinator. They primarily focus on operational sustainability, as well as developing best practices on how best to save on energy costs and increase sustainability efforts.
Projects so Far!
- Outdoor Classroom- members have been influential in assisting with grants and funding for the outdoor learning space.
- Sustainability curriculum- working on lessons that incorporate diversity, equity and inclusion, social and emotional learning, and environmental sustainability. Led a sustainability class and club during the 2020-21 school year.
- Recycling- collected, painted, and distributed the new blue recycling bins in classrooms.
- Composting- drafted a composting phase-in plan for the 2021-22 school year. Created lunchroom posters and materials for cafeterias.
- Geocaching- we have placed greeniowaatcca geocaches around the district area to advocate for getting outside.
To learn more about the state program and what we do, check out our website at https://www.greeniowaamericorps.org/.
Follow Us On Social Media!